Lincoln Tribune | |
- Eight New York police officers arrested in gun trafficking bust
- Series of bomb blasts hit southern Thailand, killing 3
- Exhibit Could Be King Tut’s Last Tour, For a While
- US, North Korea ‘Narrow Differences’ in Geneva Talks
- Indiana Town’s Economy Benefits from Canadian Oil Boom
Eight New York police officers arrested in gun trafficking bust Posted: 26 Oct 2011 02:53 AM PDT NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) -- Eight current and retired officers with the New York Police Department were among twelve people arrested on Tuesday for their alleged participation in gun trafficking operations, prosecutors said. The twelve people arrested, which included five active New York Police Department officers and three who are retired, were charged for allegedly accepting thousands of dollars to transport firearms and stolen merchandise into the state. According to Preet Bharara, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, the transported merchandise included stolen slot machines, firearms, stolen cigarettes and counterfeit goods. The firearms included three M-16 rifles, one shotgun and 16 handguns, the majority of which had been defaced to remove or alter the serial numbers on them. In total, according to the complaint, the goods the defendants illegally transported between October 2010 and March of this year carried a street value of over $1 million. The arrests were the result of a long-term undercover investigation that began in 2009. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and agents from the NYPD's Internal Affairs Bureau arrested all of the suspects in their homes on Tuesday morning. Among them is a New Jersey corrections officer and a former New York City Sanitation Department police officer. "The complaint describes how a group of crime fighters took to moonlighting as criminals; how a gang of police officers who should have been keeping guns off the street instead smuggled 20 firearms into the City," Bharara said, adding that a number of men once charged with enforcing the law are now charged with breaking it. "An officer who betrays his badge betrays every honorable officer, as well as every member of the public," he added. "The NYPD is the finest police force in the world, and has done more to protect our city and keep us safe than any comparable force in any city, anywhere." The active-duty NYPD officers who were charged were identified as Wiliam Masso, Eddie Goris, John Mahoney, Ali Oklu and Gary Ortiz. Oklu works as a member of the Brooklyn South Task Force, Ortiz works in Brooklyn's 71st precinct while the others work in Brooklyn's 68th precinct. The retired NYPD officers who were charged are Joseph Trischitta, Marco Venezia and Richard Melnik who also worked in Brooklyn's 68th precinct. Trischitta and Venezia were active-duty officers for a part of the period they allegedly committed the charged offenses. Also charged are former NYC Department of Sanitation Police Officer Anthony Santiago, active-duty New Jersey Corrections Officer David Kanwisher and associates Michael Ge and Eric Gomer. "These crimes are without question, reprehensible - particularly conspiring to import untraceable guns and assault rifles into New York. The public trusts the police not only to enforce the law, but to obey it," said Janice K. Fedarcyk, Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI's New York Field Office. "These crimes, as alleged in the complaint, do nothing but undermine public trust and confidence in law enforcement. We are committed to continuing to work with the Internal Affairs Bureau of the NYPD to root out corruption, wherever it may be." (Copyright 2011 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.) |
Series of bomb blasts hit southern Thailand, killing 3 Posted: 26 Oct 2011 02:24 AM PDT YALA, THAILAND (BNO NEWS) -- A series of bomb explosions killed at least three people and injured around twenty others in the southern region of Thailand on Tuesday, officials said on Wednesday. The bomb explosions occurred on Tuesday evening in the restive city of Yala, which is located in the southern province which carries the same name. It happened on the seventh anniversary of the Tak Bai massacre, local authorities told the Nation. One of the bombs detonated prematurely while suspected insurgents transported the explosive through the Old Market section of Yala's Muang district, killing two insurgents. Police believe the insurgents were taking the bomb to the city's commercial area. Several explosive devices later detonated in the New Market area of the city. According to reports, the last of eight bombs detonated at around 10 p.m. local time. However, bomb squads were able to defuse a total of ten explosives. The bombs were targeting mostly public areas such as restaurants and karaoke bars in the predominantly Buddhist section of Yala, which also suffered a blackout for around an hour. Local officials believe the attacks were carried out to mark the Tak Bai massacre anniversary. On October 25, 2004, a total of 86 people were killed when police used tear gas and gunfire to ward off hundreds of protesters who began hurling stones and tried to storm a police station. It is known as the Tak Bai incident. The attacks on Tuesday also happened about 24 hours after two bomb blasts struck Narathiwat's Muang district, killing five people including a pregnant woman and her three-year-old child. (Copyright 2011 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.) |
Exhibit Could Be King Tut’s Last Tour, For a While Posted: 25 Oct 2011 05:01 PM PDT As Egypt goes through fundamental political change, people fascinated by the country's ancient civilization worry that a new government might restrict loans to museums overseas. Among the most successful commercial ventures involving Egyptian antiquities have been traveling exhibits of treasures from the tomb of King Tutankhamun, Tut as he is better known. One of those exhibits is now drawing crowds at the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston. Many people visiting the museum fear this could be their last chance to see such magnicient and important antiquities. |
US, North Korea ‘Narrow Differences’ in Geneva Talks Posted: 25 Oct 2011 04:25 PM PDT The State Department said Tuesday U.S. and North Korean officials narrowed their differences on resuming Chinese-sponsored six-party negotiations on Pyongyang's nuclear program in a two-day set of talks in Geneva. But, U.S. officials say there were no breakthroughs and that the process will take some time. John Park, senior program officer for Northeast Asia of the U.S. Institute of Peace, the USIP, says efforts to get North Korea back into the negotiating process are aimed in part at preventing a return to aggressive behavior by Pyongyang. |
Indiana Town’s Economy Benefits from Canadian Oil Boom Posted: 25 Oct 2011 04:22 PM PDT The town of Whiting, Indiana, is home to the largest inland oil refinery in the United States. The energy company BP operates the Whiting Refinery, which originally was built by the Standard Oil Company in 1889. Now with heavier crude oil piped into the facility from Canadian tar sands, the facility is getting a multi-billion dollar upgrade. BP's investment in the refinery is an economic windfall for the small town, but environmentalists say the improvements bring increased pollution. <!--AV--> |
You are subscribed to email updates from The Lincoln Tribune To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. | Email delivery powered by Google |
Google Inc., 20 West Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610 |
ليست هناك تعليقات:
إرسال تعليق