الخميس، 6 أكتوبر 2011

New Article from Aaron Hockley

New Article from Aaron Hockley


Steve

Posted: 05 Oct 2011 09:31 PM PDT

I was in my car, listening to MacBreak Weekly on my iPhone. I was about five minutes from arriving home when the noise sounded indicating a breaking news alert – I glanced down at the phone and saw an alert from the AP Mobile app that Steve Jobs had died.

As I arrived home, I went to my MacBook and looked first at Twitter which then led me to apple.com.

A classy tribute; very Steve-like.

Unlike some of my friends, I haven’t been a die-hard Apple fanboy for years. My switch to the Mac was relatively recent (2009). I only became an iPhone user earlier this year although I preordered the iPad as soon as I could. PCs and Android phones worked fine for me; I was adept and tweaking them to meet my needs. Why would I not want a device with eighty ways to do everything and three hundred options for configuration? My Windows PC and my Android (previously Blackberry) phone worked adequately.

And then I switched. First to a MacBook Pro. And then I acquired an iPad and became immersed in iOS. And then an iPhone. I now understood the various little Steve Jobs touches on these products. Folks mock the “magical” adjective applied to Apple’s gear, but it’s true: there’s something special about the devices that is an experience unequaled in the tech world.

I’m not overly-educated on Steve’s past, although I’ve pre-ordered the official biography. My experiences with his world didn’t reach very far into history, but my world will be touched by his influence far into the future. Sitting at my computer earlier this evening, I watched the stream of thoughts, memories, and quotes passing by on Twitter. I was a bit choked up. Some of the emotion was my personal reaction to the news; much of it was in seeing just how many felt the same way. Tonight my thoughts are with his family, coworkers, and others who lost not only a visionary but a relative or friend.

Rest in peace, Steve. Thank you.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق