الاثنين، 23 يوليو 2012

Aaron Hockley

Aaron Hockley


I’d Like to Buy an 8″ iPad Now, Please…

Posted: 23 Jul 2012 09:00 AM PDT

Apple LogoWe’ve all heard the rumors of Apple producing an 8″ iPad – something a bit smaller, and a smidge bigger than the current Kindle Fire, Nook, and Nexus 7 models that seem to be doing well. Here’s my take on a tablet smaller than the iPad and how I’ve reached my conclusion that I want one.

I’ve owned an iPad since day one. I still have the original 16gb wifi model and haven’t upgraded to the iPad 2 or “the new iPad” (more on reasons below). I love the device. Prior to September 2011, I used the iPad frequently for:

  • email, Twitter, and the web while at conferences
  • email, Twitter, writing, and the web while at coffee shops
  • acting as my main computer while traveling
  • reading articles via Instapaper
  • reading RSS feeds via Reeder
  • reading ebooks as PDFs
  • reading ebooks via the Kindle app.
  • managing tasks via OmniFocus
  • playing the occasional game

In September 2011 I bought an 11″ MacBook Air, which has become my primary computer for conferences, travel, and coffee shops. In November 2011 I got a Kindle. These two devices have taken over many of the duties once performed by my iPad. The MacBook Air is far more versatile for typing and multitasking quickly, and the Kindle is a great device that for reading Kindle ebooks at home.

With the addition of these two devices, my iPad use dropped quite a bit, such that my current iPad use cases are:

  • reading articles via Instapaper
  • reading RSS feeds via Reeder
  • reading ebooks as PDFs
  • managing tasks via OmniFocus
  • playing the occasional game

I’d love to get a new iPad that’s a bit faster and perhaps has a higher-density screne, but given my current uses I’m not sure I can justify $500 for what’s become a reading/game device.

As I see folks like MG Siegler and Dan Benjamin talk about how much they like the Nexus 7′s size, I’m bullish on Apple producing an iPad of a similar form factor. If Apple brings one to market, priced around $249, I’ll jump on it. Honestly I’d grab a Nexus 7 today if it could run OmniFocus…

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق