الثلاثاء، 3 ديسمبر 2013

How to Nail an Email Campaign in Five Easy Steps

 


How to Nail an Email Campaign in Five Easy Steps

By Lindsay Bell

Email CampaignToday, I want to share an example of a really great email campaign, interesting enough and pitched in such a way that I actually clicked on it.

I say "really great" for a number of reasons:

1. It was a blind send – that is, I had never (to the best of my knowledge, anyhow) signed up to receive email or any other type of contact from this company. But I still opened it.

2. It was beautifully designed, with an eye catching visual at the top. It was Christmas themed – brave, in this politically correct time where most corporations stick with the generic "Holiday" mentions – and they used a corresponding bold red font right off the top.

3. The writing was brilliant. Very human. Very casual. And while I knew it was a mass email that went out to thousands of people, I felt as if the writer was speaking directly to me.

4. And they used the magic word: FREE!

5. Then they used more magic words – the words that really made me sit up and take notice: No follow up sales call. No trial. No hassle.

What?

Email Campaign

Now, I'm a bit of a cynic, and am old enough to know that when organizations use the word "free" – they generally don't actually mean "free". They mean "Sign up for this FREE xyz, but be sure and have your credit card out because we want to nail you at the end of the free part, and start charging your account!"

But not this company. They said FREE – and they actually meant it! And while the 'no follow up sales call' etc., sounds counter intuitive to a company's end goals – it wasn't. It worked.

Because there's nothing I – and many other busy people I know – despise more than being harassed after the fact by aggressive, spammy sales tactics. If I like what you're offering, I'll buy in. If I don't? No amount of phone calls or emails if going to change my mind.

So, by this point intrigued, I spent 15 minutes or so checking out their website (as I'm sure many people did – I wonder what there page views numbers were like yesterday!).

Their media room was impressive, their reports having been mentioned and quoted in myriad high visibility magazine and newspaper articles, and illustrated that this was as respected organization providing value and insight – value and insight that I wanted a test-run of!

I was slightly irritated when I couldn't pre-read one of their free (FREE!) daily reports they were offering without signing up, but, as is human nature, that only made me want to go for the free trial even more!

Their media room was impressive, their reports having been mentioned and quoted in myriad high visibility magazine and newspaper articles, and illustrated that this was as respected organization providing value and insight – value and insight that I wanted a test-run of!

So, I did it. Within 20 minutes or so they had me. They had me because they were human, creative, warm, their product appeared to be of a quality worth checking out for a few weeks, and most importantly, all of the above methods earned my trust.

So, they already had me, the most cynical or consumers, but the nail in my coffin, so to speak, was their follow up email after I signed up.

email campaignContinuing on with the Christmas theme, they used a bit of humor – I laughed at the "advent calendar" comparison – while saying thank you.

I came away from the whole experience thinking: "I really like these people!" – which is crazy, because I work in the biz, and I know this email campaign was *created* to make me feel that way. But it worked. And, as we all know only too well, feelings trump logical thinking nine times out of ten.

So, take this story at face value. And think about the lessons learned the next time you're crafting copy or coming up with ideas for your next email campaign. If this company managed to snare me, you know they were doing something right.

And Merry Christmas.


 

Sponsor message
powered byad choices

More Blitz Bits

Get These Great e-Books from FeedBlitz

Get the free FeedBurner Migration Guide e-book Buy List Building for Bloggers, proven email strategies to build your audience, increase engagement and grow your income. Find out how to make the most of FeedBlitz.

 


Sponsor message
powered byad choices



Your requested content delivery powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 9 Thoreau Way, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA. +1.978.776.9498

 

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق