الثلاثاء، 22 مايو 2012

Here are 2 new articles from Aaron Hockley

Here are 2 new articles from Aaron Hockley


Some Reflections on 50,000 Tweets

Posted: 22 May 2012 08:30 AM PDT

Yesterday I tweeted for my 50,000th time[1].

A look at my iPad view of Twitter during Gnomedex 2010I haven’t done the calculations for how many minutes it has involved, but Twitter has consumed a nontrivial amount of my time since I joined in February of 2007. Everyone wants to talk about “the ROI of social media” so let’s entertain that for a moment.

In that time, I’ve interacted with thousands of individuals and organizations. Out of those interactions:

  • I’ve met, gotten to know, and booked a lot of clients for my photography business. I can trace at least half of my client relationships to connections that either originated or were fostered via Twitter.
  • I’ve connected with people that have allowed me the opportunity to speak at BlogWorld & New Media Expo and a variety of WordCamp events.
  • I had the opportunity to travel to Alaska with GoPro
  • My social media activity on Twitter (and other places) led to me becoming a speaker for SmugMug’s series of local meetups across the country.
  • Most importantly, and in summary, I’ve been able to develop friendships and business relationships with people around the globe and in my own area who I wouldn’t have otherwise known. People from around the world (or just around the corner) are now close friends and via Twitter we’ve shared a variety of experiences, some with strong emotions of happiness, shock, or tragedy.

Twitter life is real life. The online world and the offline world are simply the world.

I’d say that’s a damn good ROI. Here’s to 50,000 more. If we’re not already connected on Twitter, please follow along and drop me an @mention…. that’s my number one Twitter tip. Have conversations. It’s not social media if you’re talking but not listening.


  1. Being a bit of a smartass, I had fun with number 50,000.  ↩

EyePhone: Making Stronger Photographs with your Camera Phone – New Ebook Review

Posted: 22 May 2012 12:01 AM PDT

EyePhone: Making Stronger Photographs with your Camera PhoneAs a photographer and an iPhone fan, I love mobile photography. I was excited to read EyePhone: Making Stronger Photographs with Your Camera Phone, the latest photography ebook from Craft & Vision. Author Al Smith dives into the world of mobile phone photography, offering a great resource for beginning and intermedia mobile photographers. It’s a good read (with one minor nag that I note below) and I recommend it for anyone with a camera phone. Here’s my review of the book (along with some limited-time discount codes at the bottom of the article).

Introduction and Philosophy

The introductory section of the book offers up Smith’s overall views on mobile photography; he begins by recalling the situation in which he realized the value in the ability to create images with his phone. As it’s been said that the best camera is the one that you have with you, mobile phone photography can take advantage of the “always ready” scenario. From the beginning of the book, the emphasis is on photography over the gear itself, and the author attempts to present the material in a brand-agnostic fashion although his experience using an iPhone for his work is shown in many of his app and hardware discussions.

A quick look at the hardware limitations of even the best camera phone provides a background for a viewpoint that simplicity breeds creativity and that the relatively low quality (when compared with modern DSLR or compact cameras) forces a photographer to focus more on the artistic, rather than technical, side of photography. Smith notes:

…a tool is only as good as the hands it’s placed in and the hands are only as good as the brain’s ability to guide them.

The remainder of the book follows a three-step paradigm that also applies to mobile photography.

Shoot, Edit, Share

As the book moves into a discussion of shooting, it offers a huge plug for the Camera+ iPhone app, devoting an entire page to the merits of this offering. While I agree that it’s a good app, it’s not the only option. Smith calls out the ability to separate focus from exposure, a feature that also exists in Camera Awesome (and probably some other apps as well). There’s a good discussion of the merits (and drawbacks) of the flash available on current camera phones; using the flash in the “regular” way often leads to poor results, but Smith suggests a few modifications and alternative uses for the flash that can help diffuse the light and make it a useful photography tool.

I do question some of the battery-saving advice in the shooting discussion. Smith advocates the use of airplane mode which will disable the wifi, cellular signal, bluetooth, and other battery-eating features of the phone. I’d offer that if you don’t need any of those other features, you probably don’t need to use a camera phone and might be better served by a point and shoot. The advice about how to “quit” iPhone apps given on page 22 is simply wrong – the description reflects a misunderstanding of how multitasking works on iOS.

The portion of the book devoted to editing is decent, and provides a mostly app-agnostic look at photo manipulation on the go. Instead of going into detail about specific apps, the discussion focuses at a higher level on what sort of qualities one should look for in an application, such as the ability to work in multiple steps (and undo), the ability to preserve original files, and more. I enjoyed his take on things and he does recommend a few specific apps at the end of the section.

EyePhone - better camera phone photography ebook - Craft & Vision

One of the big advantages of a connected device is the ability to easily share, and the book wraps up by looking at this component of mobile photography. The author is a big Instagram fan, not so much for the photo filters but more for the same reasons that I’m an Instagram fan: it’s a great social network for those who enjoy nice imagery. Some words are said about deciding how much to share (hint: quality over quantity) as well as avoiding sharing too much.

Conclusion (and Coupons!)

Overall I found EyePhone to be a good read. For someone who’s looking to make better images and exercise their creative muscles, a variety of techniques and ideas are offered that will help a mobile photographer create, edit, and share photos that go beyond the basics and might lead to more rewarding photography experiences.

The Craft & Vision ebooks are a great deal at the regular price of $5, but as often happens with a new release I have a special deal for my readers: you can buy EyePhone using this link and discount code EYEPHONE4 to get this one for only $4. I’ve reviewed several ebooks from Craft & Vision; you can save 20% off an order of five or more by buying using this link and the discount code EYEPHONE20. These discounts are valid through May 27th, 2012.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق