الثلاثاء، 11 يونيو 2013

Aaron Hockley

Aaron Hockley


After a Few Hours with Windows Phone 8

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 08:30 AM PDT

Nokia Lumia 928Nokia recently gave me a Nokia Lumia 928 Windows Phone after I helped them judge a mobile photo contest. Having been an iPhone user for a few years, and an Android user before that, I was curious to try out the Windows Phone experience.

My biggest objective will be to explore photography with the device, but at first I tried to set up the phone for some basic social networking and casual use. Here are my current issues and observations after a few hours with the phone:

  • There doesn’t seem to be a battery indicator anywhere while using the phone’s menu system (desktop, interface… whatever the main Windows Phone screen is called), but there is one on the lock screen.
  • Speaking of the lock screen, it has an icon that seems to indicate I have some sort of message (the icon looks like a speech bubble), but tapping that icon (or holding down for a long press on it) seems to do nothing.
  • I added my Twitter account via the settings, and it then took over 15 minutes (!!!) for it to finish saying that it was setting up my account.
  • Related to that last point, nearly everything on the phone feels slow. Even the “swipe up to unlock” movement is much slower than on the iPhone (or what I vaguely remember from the Android 2.x days).
  • I downloaded the official Twitter app and was dismayed that it requires I enable geolocation for my tweets in order to use the app, so I went back to Tweeting from the people card thingy.
  • After a bunch of Googling, I’m seeing a conclusion that there’s no way to sync Google Calendar w/ this phone? Yes? No?

I’ve been capturing some photos and intend to give it a good photo workout in the coming weeks. I’m going to hold off on writing about that until I can put a bunch of information together and will likely write about it over on Splat Photo. If anyone has Windows Phone tips/tricks/apps/suggestions, please do leave a comment. I’d like to see just how good it is.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق